Curtis Machine Tools supply engineered grinding solutions worldwide and guarantee the optimisation of your processes. We design and manufacture custom engineered machine tools for high volume precision grinding. Our team of expert design, production and process engineers are based in the United Kingdom near Colchester, Essex.
- Novel “UCG” for difficult centreless applications
- Diamond face grinder with very high cutting forces
- Cam-ring grinder with extremely precise high speed contouring
- Diesel injector needle grinders
- Wheel-bearing face match grinding with under-load gauging
- Face-and-thread grinder for fuel injector parts
- 4-axis grinders for spiral grinding
- Multi stage bore, seat and face grinder
CMT’s continued machine development programme gave birth to the Vector. The new machine would benefit from these innovations, and aim at a more clearly defined customer baseLike earlier DCL machines, parts handling was to be integral with the machine. Key features of the Vector were:
- Retention of high-pressure grinding fluid
- Flexibility to accommodate pre-and post- grind operations such as gauging and deburring
- Suitability for linking into sequential manufacturing cells.
The first two ‘Vector’ grinders were sold in 2006 to a customer grinding diesel injector parts. There followed a period of market led application developments, leading to numerous variants in workpiece presentation and holding, and process refinements in respect of grit types, fluids, machine parameters, monitoring strategies and secondary operations. During 2009 CMT succeeded in winning orders for two full production lines. The first Vector based cells incorporating modules from third parties that were integrated by ourselves. In 2013 we sold our first rotary transfer face grinder.
As we were in 1989 : From Left – Rick Curtis (Chairman), Rick Baker (Managing Director of Curtis Assemble and Test Ltd and also Curtis Group Chief Executive Officer, Doug Curtis and Melvyn Boley, (Retired).
Historical Grinding Applications